As we get settled into our new home, we continue to discover new issues to be resolved.
When we got our new washer/dryer (YAY!) the appliance delivery guys could not install the dryer because there was a range outlet vs. a dryer outlet. We had to have an electrician out to fix that. He did, but it took a few days.
While out, he also looked at some outlets that were old and failing – they would charge a phone but didn’t give enough power for anything else. We had him install GFCI because, while the house doesn’t have ground throughout, it can provide some safety protection.
We also discovered that the lower-level fixtuers drain EXTREMELY slowly. This washbasin is about 40 minutes after finishing a load of laundry. A plumber came out to give a bid and will be back in about a week to help resolve that issue.
We continue to wait for Xcel to install our actual electric meter.