We have completed enough work that the house is back to “comfortable” after about 2 months of renovations. Still TONS of finish details to go, but at least we can relax a bit now.

 

Seemed like a good time to do some before/after photos.

We hired a professional photographer to take the before photos – they are therefore much better than ours, but you can still see the difference in the house. When we are truly done with renovations, we will have the original photographer back out to take new photos again.

Dining1

(above) – In the kitchen, we removed the diving wall between the dining and kitchen and vaulted the ceiling. We replaced all home-runs for the electrical, added all new LED lighting, new cabinets, new appliances. Home made concrete counters.

Living1

(above) – In the living room, we removed a damaged and unsightly fireplace made of old metal, poorly-laid thin brick, and drywall. We found clerestory windows behind – they still need to be cleaned up, with some paint to be removed, but progress. We spliced new hardwood floors in where the fireplace used to be. We also replaced the dining light fixture and removed a poorly-wired ceiling fan.

Kitchen1

(above). In the kitchen, we replaced the cabinets, appliances, plumbing, electrical and flooring. We vaulted the ceiling and put in new spray foam insulation. The cheap laminate was laid over 3 layers of VCT, which was a pain to remove.We spliced in new hardwood floors to match the original. We extended the back wall by about 4 feet to add a pantry and relocate the refrigerator.

Bathroom1

(above) In the bathroom, we removed a full height cabinet and all tile. We replaced the old galvanized piping with copper. We replaced all fixtures and put in new tile. We also added a door into the largest bedroom to create more of a “master” feel.

Breakfast1

(above) – In what was the breakfast area, we extended the kitchen wall and added hall storage (the house had none). The full-height cabinets are used for pet supplies, coats, keys, linens, and cleaning supplies.

BedroomOne

(above) In the master bedroom, we added a door to the bathroom and replaced the 5′ closet with 11 feet of closets by turning the closet that was facing the other bedroom into this room. We also added a ceiling fan.

BedroomTwo

(above) In the 2nd bedroom, we added 3 full-height built in wardrobes to replace the closet we took away. Total storage is increased without reducing the functionality of the room. We also added a ceiling fan. No photos now, but a ceiling fan was added to the third bedroom upstairs as well.

Outside1

Only minimal work has taken place outside so far, but we did remove the sheet metal and unsteady wood patio covering. Much more light gets in the house now.

 

Advertisements